25/04/2016

RT Bestiary: Enslaver

I cannot get tired of repeating how such awesome people you can get to meet into this hobby. I have received several minis from friends along the years, and I myself as well have given away some; karma keeps flowing, whatever. But today, well, today I bring something totally different. My pal Rinahe (generous donor for some of the coolest stuff I had here in recent times!) took the following step and decided to sculpt a RT beast out from scratch just for my own particular bestiary. Wow. Just wow.

He chose to do the mythical Enslaver, back from the pages of the Rogue Trader manual.

No, not the flying spaghetti thing


Enslavers are psychic creatures that dwell in the Warp, coming to the physical realm to... well, enslave other beings, make them act according to their will and feed over their minds. For a more accurate description, I always reccomend Lexicanum.

Please let me show the sculpting process my pal went through. He took a walnut as a start point. Right. A frakkin' walnut served as inspiration and main body:




First shapes are given with DAS putty and the tentacles come from another (rather awesome) project he is carrying through right now.





For me the process is quite amazing. I mean, he insists to say that it's not like sculpting human faces or stuff like that, but I must give him the credit of having an idea and executing it in a way I hadn't expected!






So OK. I was given this glorious beast. I was officially in awe. A big thanks, man!!
Now over my shoulders came the responsibility of making justice to this insidious Xeno. Glups!

-Did... did you hear something, Bill? -Nope, man, relax, just the wind
According to classic fluff, Enslavers can change colour, but they usually are leather brown, with lighter tentacles and the so-called eye (though not really being an actual eye as we humans understand that organ) can be red, orange or purple.

Weird mutant octopus
Your mind belongs to meeeee...

'Yessss... kill all the huumans... Oh, erhm... and bring piiizza'
I really think the sculpt catches all the vibe of the original design, it's enormously great, and a real pleasure to paint!
Now I think it also provides a really interesting element for any scenario, so... I have to come up with one! The creature commands, we obey!

24 comments:

  1. Really cool!
    The tentacle looks teally pro, I'd never have enough patience to make all those "suckling".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the sculpt is sweet, the man put all his effort into that!

      Delete
  2. Awesome, you couldn't have been more faithfull to the concept than that !
    Your sculpting is always impressive dude !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! But I can take no credit at all for that!
      Please check this awesome work this guy is enduring at the moment, a Keeper of Secrets:
      http://laarmada.info/taller/proyecto-slaanesh-keeper-of-secrets/
      (Spanish forum, but the pics talk by themselves, seriously)

      Delete
    2. My bad, that's what happens when I read from the mobile and can't read the text... ^^'

      Delete
  3. That is bloody brilliant! Cracking paint job dude, and your pal did an amazing job with the sculpt - he should do some more and have them cast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He totally should, agree! It strikes me how such a 'simple' concept can offer this vibe, this feeling. Totally great!

      Delete
  4. Yeah, that's rockin Suber! You should kidnap your buddy & chain him to a sculpting desk :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's what the Enslaver is for!! Now I'll bid him to eternal sculpting! Mwahahaha!

      Delete
  5. That is fantastic! Great work with the sculpting, and you've done it justice with that paint job. Definitely one of the fun critters from RT, should make for some great games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to come up with a decent scenario in which an Enslaver makes it into an Imperial town and all the civilians suddenly go weird ;)

      Delete
  6. wow!
    It is really cool!
    Now we want to see that on a battlefield hahahaah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Right, a gae is in order!! The Enslaver commands it!!

      Delete
  7. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me that you used a walnut as the foundation for such an excellent miniature. I'll never look at a walnut in the same way again. I'll always be asking myself: "Are you actually an embryonic Enslaver?"
    Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite an unsettling thought! :D :D Walking through the countryside will be a rather challengin experience from now on! :P

      Delete
  8. That's incredible! Kudos to you for the painting, but the realisation into 3D by sculpting by your friend is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All the credit is his, the paintjob couldn't be easier!

      Delete
  9. Excellent, what a cool project well done. It looks great and suitably alien and a threat to humanity.
    Very nicely painted as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope to see it spreading terror over the city anytime soon :D

      Delete
  10. Lovely mini, although I never envisaged them being that big for some reason! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The RT manual states that Enslavers are about 2 meters high, so this should be just a little bit larger than a regular human-size mini; but taking a walnut for the main body left this huge monster. He is the King of Enslavers! :0

      Delete
  11. This is amazing! It has bugged me for decades that GW never made models for the full range of concepts presented in Rogue Trader way back when. And when they do make something that harkens back to that book (i.e. the Jokaero minis released for the Gray Knights or the Dark Eldar Razorwings that came out a few years ago) I celebrate it. Having said that, this is a great scuplt; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, there were really cool concepts that were never developed. I'm trying to fill that hole and get a proper bestiary. So many beasts ahead!

      Delete